Sunday, January 31, 2010

Me-Oh-My-Oh Chippy Pie! Oh!

I just finished my second piece of this little tasty treat.  The first piece I ate yesterday, warm, fresh out of the oven and fresh off its photo shoot. It was whispering to me.... "Just one little bite".  I got'er done.  The second piece I ate tonight, at room temperature and I must say it was just as good.  Possibly even better.  The chocolate had a chance to solidify and just seemed more dense than yesterday's slice.  Heaven, I tell you.  Pure Heaven.   

I had a pie very similar to this once in my youth and clearly haven't forgotten it's exsistence.  I found a recipe from a Nestle Classics Cookbook and decided to give it a try.  I put my own little spin on it, opting for the refridgerator pie crusts, a few more chocolate chips, substituting walnuts for pecans (cheaper!) and a little vanilla and salt. 

Chippy Pie

Ingredients:

2 Pillsbury Refridgerated Pie crusts, with some dusting flour

2 large eggs


1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened

1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Steps:
Preheat oven 325 degrees F.

Take both pie crusts that come in the package and layer them one on top of the other, making sure they are aligned perfectly.  With a dusting of flour on the countertop and on your rolling pin, roll the crusts out to fit (generously) a deep dish pie plate. 
Gently transfer the pie crust to the dish and gently fit it to the plate.  Using the technique of your choice, create the top edge of your crust.  I like the "one knuckle, two knuckle approach", but that's just me. 

Beat eggs in large mixer bowl on high until foamy.  Could take 1-2 minutes of beating on high.

Beat in flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat in butter.

Stir in morsels and nuts and spoon into pie shell.

Bake for 55-60 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.  Or, eat it a day later, with your hands, over the sink.  Up to you. 

Enjoy! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment